This is a chronicle of my trip home from Malaysia, and our last Christmas on the farm. Please feel free to post comments and respond to stuff that I've written. If there is anything you would like to see or pictures you'd like me to take and post on-line just ask and I'll do my best to oblige.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Um, no-- we don't teach people to say that!!!

This past week I have started and have been teaching a training course for new teachers, teaching teachers how to teach. This is commonly known as "teacher training."

It has been a real 'education' (excuse the pun) to deliver this course as I have found out what many people consider teaching to be. Some people come with a lot of preconceived ideas; others come with no ideas at all but do have the desire to learn and try something new. For some, it is, admittedly, a response to mid-life crisis while others believe it will be a more prosperous and enjoyable career route. One trainee, whom I greatly admire, openly said that he had been teaching in Japan for years with no real idea of how to teach at all. I had to give him credit for admitting that but also praise for doing so in a class of his peers.

What really shocks me is the ideas that some people have about teaching. One discussion amongst trainees focused on 'swearing' and whether this needs to be taught. Now at this point I have to admit that this is hearsay, as it comes from my colleague who is teaching the same programme, concurrently. Her group discussed swearing and its usefulness. Surprisingly, my colleague began to talk about how pronunciation and intonation was important to, say, express the difference between 'shit' said with anger compared with 'shit' said surprise or joy.

Teacher Trainer -- "well guys, when you say 'shit' and you are angry, your voice drops and you speak with less variation in tone. Overall, it might be said faster. When surprised, however, you may say it more slowly, at a higher pitch and with more variation."

Teacher in Training -- "So you never teach students to say anything like 'HEY, YOU FUCKIN' CUNT-SNIFFER!"

Teacher Trainer -- ".......no.......we don't teach students to say......that...."

Now, you, the reader, may be shocked to read this but go back and read it again to make sure. This was a real exchange between a colleague and a trainee. No names have been added (to avoid embarassment) but no content or dialogue has been omitted either. Read it and weep/laugh. This was an actual question.

The fact is that many new teachers have rather interesting ideas about what to teach to whom and when. That being said, my teacher training work for the first week has been fantastic and I have enjoyed it immensely. I can't think of any place I would rather be right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home